Exploring Our Local Area: Key Stage Three
These downloadable resources have been created to support the Key Stage Three History curriculum, with creative ideas and inspiration for cross-curricular working – in the classroom and for learning at home. Key Stage Two resources are also available.
How to Use the Resources
The resources provide images, video and information on objects in the collection to guide pupils through four themes.
- Agricultural Revolution
- Industrial Revolution
- Arrival of the Railways
- Everyday Victorian Life in England
Although the objects and stories are closely linked to Settle and North Craven, the pack can be used to fit with broader classroom teaching about life in the past and inspiration for creative activities. National Curriculum links and learning objectives are provided.
Alongside guidance notes containing background information and delivery notes for teachers and parents, there is an accompanying power point presentation for use in the classroom.
There is also a Local Area Study Exhibition Support Resource, with tips on how to create a local area exhibition in school, using the work pupils create.
Structure of Each Resource
- Engage – each theme is introduced through an object from the museum. A video introducing the object and explaining how it links to the theme is available on the accompanying power point presentations
- Enquiry – a Key Question for students to critically consider
- Evidence – museum objects and information provided for students to work through and reach their own conclusion to the Key Question
- Explain – pupils use the evidence to answer the Key Question, through a piece of creative writing
- Explore – activity to extend learning
- Creative Connections – an inspiration gallery of images and ideas for further literacy and creative work
The Museum of North Craven Life would like to thank Amy Baggaley for the creation of these resources which were funded by Arts Council England and the National Lottery Heritage Fund.